Based in Tallaght West, CDI was established to design, deliver and evaluate a suite of services aimed at improving outcomes for children and families. Following significant consultation with those living and working in the community, areas for improvement were agreed, interventions developed utilising research and best practice, and independent evaluation teams commissioned. Taking an implementation science approach, CDI has supported a wide range of organisations and disciplines to enhance best practice and take on new models.
CDI is currently part of the Government’s Area Based Childhood (ABC) Programme which supports prevention and early intervention work at 13 sites across Ireland. CDI secured funding of €4m to deliver six programmes from 2013 until Autumn 2016. Funding has been secured to extend the work to Autumn 2017. These programmes are co-funded by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs and The Atlantic Philanthropies.
From 2007 to 2013 CDI was one of three Prevention and Early Intervention Programme (PEIP) sites in Dublin, which were co-funded by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs and The Atlantic Philanthropies.
- Ante-natal to Three Initiative (ATTI) – A programme focusing on ante natal care and children up to three years of age.
- Chit Chat – Therapeutic support to children which also works with parents, teachers and carers to maximise their capacity to support their children’s speech and language development.
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library – a free book programme to improve literacy among children aged 0-5.
- Doodle Den – An afterschool programme to improve literacy among Senior Infant Children.
- Doodle Families – CDI is currently developing a booster programme for Doodle Den.
- Parent Support in Early Years – Supporting parents of children in early years services.
- Restorative Practices – A community based approach to managing conflict and tension in communities.
- Tallaght Welcomes Breastfeeding – An initiative to improve breastfeeding rates in Tallaght
Previous Programmes (2007-2012)
- Community Coaching Programme – CDI co-ordinated a wide range of community coaching courses to upskill community workers, parents and service providers in better managing relationships and having an understanding of their own role and responsibilities.
- Community Safety Initiative – CDI worked with the four communities in Tallaght West to improve community safety and security.
- Healthy Schools – Working with primary schools to improve diet, physical exercise and mental health among school children.
- Mate-Tricks – A pro social behaviour programme for Fourth Class students.
- Family Links – A programme offering supports to parents in prison and their families.
- Safe and Healthy Place – The Safe and Healthy Place was an initiative within the CSI which brought together agencies and the community to address issues with a new estate in Tallaght West that was in need of essential services.